Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Enough With The Artificial Sweeteners!

I'm a mom of two toddlers. The last thing I need are "surprises" in what I thought were healthy food purchases. I'm mad.
Del Monte: Sucralose!


So, here's my morning: I cleaned up two poo-splosions, my 1 year old fell off the couch because he's so tall he can climb things he has no clue how to get off of. I dug a shard of plastic out of his mouth (he opened the heat vent and fished it out of the duct), both kids have impressively runny noses, I did an overflowing dishwasher, folded laundry, and answered a bunch of emails. This week my Awesome Husband is working till 8:30pm every night because it's crunch week before his students present their school play. I'm a tad frazzled.

The fridge is looking a bit bare so I grab a can of fruit salad from the cupboard to include in our lunch. I bought a new kind packed in water instead of syrup. I think I've earned Mom Points by finding a low sugar option. Surprise!
No, no, no healthy options for you! While polishing it off with my 3 and 1 year old I notice, too late, the fine print saying sweetened with sucralose! Arrrg. I know this may seem an over-reaction. But this is about the 4th time I've accidentally bought what I thought was a healthier option only to find it laced with artificial sweeteners. Ketchup, yogourt, Jello, plum sauce, and now fruit salad. It's everywhere.

Artificial sweeteners have been linked to a host of health problems and are not well understood. I don't want to eat them and I sure as a pickle don't want to feed it to my toddlers! Too late! I'm furious. Like I need grocery shopping to be any more difficult. I have to scrutinize every package I pick off the shelf. It's exhausting.

Have we become a society of people unable to handle food that isn't sickly sweet? When I spotted Heinz's reduced sugar ketchup I was excited thinking it would simply taste more tomato-y. Nope. Sucralose. Gah!

I've found precious few unsweetened foods that don't contain artificial sweeteners. Mott's Unsweetened apple sauces are my favourite find so far. What have you found that you recommend? On the plus side, I'm buying less processed and more fresh items because we have started grocery shopping almost every week rather than every other week like before.

So, what have you found that is low or no sugar but not artificially sweetened?

No comments:

Post a Comment